Their first home I didn't get a picture of. It was a cardboard box with a plastic trash bag taped to the inside with duck tape with newspaper on top. FAIL. The chicks pecked at the tape enough that it began to fall off, causing them to get their tiny feathers stuck to the tape. OUCH! I had to pull a few too many off of the tape. Next came the pool. The pool setup evolved quickly. The pool first had nothing coving the bottom. I'm not sure how long I thought that was going to last. It lasted a half day. Chicks poop so much! The bottom of the pool was covered. Then I put down newspaper. It didn't help much, they just pooped on top of that. At this point the chicks were getting really dirty. They needed a bath. My mom in law suggested wood shavings. So, until I was able to buy wood shaving, we used straw.
Now, we have wood shavings, two watering containers, two food containers, and a whole lot of poop. The wood shavings keep them clean and dry. It also makes it for an easy clean up. It has not even been two weeks and I'm ready for these "big" birds to move to the chicken tractor outside. I have had enough of their fragrance.