Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Stock: Update

When I posted about stock the other day I was informed that I was descriptive enough.  So here is an addition to the post.  Below are the detailed instructions on how to make beef stock.

Adapted from: The Grassfed Goumet cookbook: Beef Stock

Ingredients:
 4-5 pounds of beef bones 
 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
 3 ribs of celery, cut into large chunks
 2 onions quartered
 7-8 quarts water
 5 cloves of garlic unpeeled
 1 tsp salt
 1 tablespoon vinegar

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Place bones in a roasting pan.  Cook in for 30-45 minutes or until bones have browned.  Every 15 minutes or so flip over the bones.  Place bones into a large stockpot or crockpot (I like to do both so that I can make more stock). Add the water and vegetables.  Bring water to a boil. Add salt and vinegar.  Simmer the stock until the marrow and the meat falls of the bones.  I normally will simmer the stock all day put the stockpot in the refrigerator overnight and continue cooking it the next day.  If you are using a crockpot it will take longer for the stock to simmer. If the amount of water gets too low in the pots add when necessary.  If I have cooked my stock for a few days I often times will add water so that the stock is not quite so concentrated in the end. 
Before storing remember to remove all bones and vegetables. Allow the stock to rest until cooled.  Skim the layer of fat off the top of the stock and discard.
Remember making stock is not a science it can be as creative or simple as you make it.  Add or subtract whatever you need, want, or have.  My stock ingredients are always different and that makes each batch taste different, which I love.

Happy soup making:)

No comments:

Post a Comment