Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Larabar Knockoffs

So I've been talking about this for a while.  You how talk is, it's cheap.  Sometimes I talk a lot.  Anyways.  I'm in love with Larabars.  I have forbidden myself from buying them unless they are 10/ $1 at Hy-Vee; which seems to happen not often enough. 
This is why I love them so much:

 •They taste like dessert.
 •They are only made with 5 or so ingredients that I can pronounce and actually have in my pantry.
 •They are snack size.
 •My husband doesn't know how good they are.


Confessions:

 •I hid them from the rest of my family.
 •I cannot eat them in more than one setting.
 •Coconut and Key Lime are my favorites.

Now that you know too much, I must tell you how to make them.  Yesterday while reading a post by Keeper of the Home 10 on-the-go Healthy snacks for Toddlers, there was a link to The Elliott Homestead, there she gave several options to Larabars. So, last night I had to try the Coconut Cream Pie, yum yum.  I ended up having to use more dates than the recipe called for.  Mine were dried and may have needed to be soaked first. 




Now if you are thinking those bars are still too expensive to make, I have an alternative.  I have made these coconut balls.

I food process:

•2 cups dates

•2 cups oats

•1/2 shredded coconut

•a dash of cinnamon


I form them into bite size balls and try not to eat them all, especially at breakfast.


Next, I'll be trying the roasted chickpeas. I have my peas sitting on the stove soaking.  I'll tell you how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment