Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sugar detox: Cravings

So, if you haven't heard that I on a sugar detox you must not have driven by my house lately, to see that everyone of my family members is living out with the dog. Just kidding, sort of. During this detox I've been getting my fix with eating dates and dried cherries. Yummy.

Tonight we are grilling chicken and having a nice dinner. Dessert sounded like a good addition to the meal. My husband already made a meal option for me. He want to grill a whole chicken with a glaze. He made the glaze out of honey instead of brown sugar. That's on one of the many reasons I love him, for his thoughtfulness. Back to dessert. We had a couple of containers of strawberries from the store, which shouldn't have bought because they aren't in season. And they don't taste good. I decided I wanted to make a gluten and sugar free option. Last Mothers' Day I made a berry pie. That's sounds like a great way to use the not so good strawberries.  The crust is made of nuts, dates and salt. The filling is made of fresh strawberries and blended frozen berries. You know you want some.

Here's the run down. Pulse 2 cups almonds in a food processor. I use a cut known as butterstock. Pulse until they they are grainy like sand, but they should stick to together like wet sand. If your have you pulse too long your sand mixture will look more like peanut better.  (That's because you have made almond butter, which is also good.) Add 1 cup of dates and a teaspoon of sea salt. Make sure you pit them the dates. The seed can chip teeth. Place the mixed ingredients in a pie pan. Using your hands press the mixture in the pan forming the crust. If the crust appears crumbly add a tablespoon of grapeseed oil. It will help the crust hold together nicely.  Slice about 3 cups of strawberries and place them on top of the crust.  Take 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries and blend them in a blender until smooth. If you want more sweetness like sauce, add up to a 1/2 cup agave nectar.   Spoon the berry sauce onto the pie and serve immediately.  Wait for your delighted dining friends to smile.

This dessert hit the spot. It isn't the most frugal dessert, but it is defiantly not lacking flavor. What is your family's favorite sugar-free dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment